Friday 14 January 2011

The Completion

when I left you I had just finished all the components for the bookshelf and all that was left to do was glue it together and finish it. So here goes.
With a generous helping of wood glue and the help of my trusty F clamps the bookshelf is together. I left it to go off overnight and....









.....viola! After applying a couple of coats of shop bought beeswax polish (look out for my next blog where I make my own furniture wax from local beeswax), a quick buff up and a pose for the camera and here we have it. Remember the dirty old bed slats that I started with? This is what I've transformed them into and hopefully they'll live happily ever after in their new guise.






And here it is in use, it can easily accommodate large and small books, CDs and DVDs. Please don't judge me from my choice of literature, music and film, it was simply what was close at hand!
I feel this bookshelf sums up my philosophy towards furniture perfectly. It involves the use of something that was destined for the dump being turned into something supremely practical and also rather handsome (if I may say so myself). If you like what you see then keep checking this blog for more in the same vein.



Sustainably onwards,

The Wood Fashioner

1 comment: