Sunday 20 March 2011

Margaret, keeper of the Herbs

Hello all.

I know its been a while but I'm still here! I've been busy working on some new designs, reclaiming some wood and generally fashioning around. Here's a few pics and a little description of what I've been doing most recently.
As you can see I've been doing a bit of letter carving and you can probably gather that this panel is for a Herb Garden! This panel was glued up from some pine that I salvaged from an tired looking old bed, it's now looking forward to a new life cradling some fragrant herbs.








Here is the herb garden all put together and sitting up on my bench. The legs were cut from some old stud wall timber that someone had deemed surplus to requirements. I think they've got much more to give to the world than being dumped in landfill or minced up for chipboard!









A few coats of paint and a bit of black plastic sheeting, unfortunately this isn't reclaimed. It was, instead, liberated from the garden centre in exchange for some of my hard gained cash! There is some unseen physics going on under that black plastic, the base of the box is sloped towards the back and there are some channels cut into it to drain the water away. This will make sure the whole thing doesn't hold too much moisture and ruin your herbs.....mmmmm I can taste that rosemary!




Here she is in all her glory, think I'll call her Margaret.
She measures approx 1000mm high x 900mm long x 560mm wide. Wonderful statistics I'm sure you'll agree? There's plenty of room to grow a good variety of herbs and maybe even some small veggies. Keep it just outside the kitchen door, on the balcony, roof terrace, wherever you can fit it. Happy growing!







Sustainably onwards,

The Woodfashioner

No comments:

Post a Comment